Saturday, March 08, 2008

A mom, a broom and a song

A few days ago my Happy Town family went down to the local mega home improvement warehouse. My daughter spawn and I were looking at brooms and our son spawn and the husband were looking at lumber.

As I was checking each broom, imagining sweeping my beautiful with each one, deciding which bristles were the softest and least likely to scratch my beautiful new floor IT happened.

It, you ask? The speakers that were pumping in easy listening music to buy your shingles by came one with THE SONG. The perfect song. "My Girl". I was with my girl.

Yes, you can guess what happened next. A mom and her tween daughter. A broom and a song. My lovely daughter, my love, MY GIRL got a serenade from her mom in the middle of the broom isle. And she couldn't have been more embarrassed if I tried. I admit I got a strange look or two from the young mother on the other end of the isle, but heck, she only had a tiny baby. She'll get it in about 9 years when she's in the broom isle and "My Girl" comes on.

What is a mom to do? It's like an unwritten mom rule.....you HAVE to embarrass you kids, right???

Nothing you can do cuz I'm stuck like glue to my girl, nothing you can say can tear me away from my girl......my GIRRRRRRRRRLLLL, my girl.

Aw, fun times!! I hope it's a memory she can pull out and laugh about when she's grown and I'm old and gray. I hope I can look back and laugh when I'm old and gray, I hope I never forget all the fun times I have with My Girl.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Sounds like a perfect moment to this mom, too.