Thursday, March 04, 2010

Harder than dieting

I read an article recently recommending going 30 days without spending any money that wasn't absolutely necessary. It really caught my attention because I'm a big time impulse shopper. Big.time. I'm really bad about going to the store during my lunch hour and I seem to be genetically unable to just get what I went in the store to get. I send up spending at least $30 more than I need to.

Anyway...I decided to try it for a week. One week of not going to the store unless it's 100% necessary. It's been almost one week and I've only been to the store twice. The first time I had to get some stuff for work and I got that plus some cheese sticks for snacks. The second time Owen needed some glue sticks for school. I had $2 in my purse and a package of glue sticks cost $2. I walked right to the aisle, got the sticks and went right to the checkout. Yay me.

The one thing that is really helping is I've been bringing a book to read at lunch. I go to the park and read in my car. So I'm not bored looking for something to do, that helps a lot. I have to leave work at lunch, I can't stand being at work all day without leaving!

This feels good. It feels like I was in control of my money this week. I kind of like that feeling.

No comments: