Thursday, November 01, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #1


Thirteen Things about My spice cabinet



I recently cleaned out my spice cabinet when we moved. Below is a list of 13 spices I had no idea I even had and have no idea WHY I even had them in the first place.

1. Whole cloves

2. Poultry Seasoning (unopened)

3. Oregano leaves

4. Curry powder

5. Sesame seeds

6. Rosemary leaves

7. Orange peel

8. Smoke flavored garlic salt

9. Mustard seed

10. Poppy seed

11. Whole allspice

12. Meat tenderizer

13. Freeze dried chives

Any recipes I need to know to use up some of this stuff? Some of them I'm sure have been in my cabinet since we got married 16 plus years ago, those are going in the trash.







I'm still trying to figure all this linking stuff out! Maybe I'll get it one of these days.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool list. I have bought spices when I find a cool recipe but then I never fix it and then I had to my collection

Samantha_K said...

Do you have a spice grinder for the whole cloves and allspice? Then you could easily find uses for those...I have a bunch of spices I buy for one specific recipe, then it just sits...and sits...and sits. Never to be used again, lol.
Happy Thursday!

April Elizabeth said...

you can sprinkle the seasame seeds on chicken with a little (tiny) maple syrup, salt, garlic, and sherry.

Also you can smoke the cloves. OR stick them in a ham while baking.

Penny said...

I love spices & have quite a collection myself. You can use the cloves to temporarily relieve tooth pain.

Happy TTing!

Unknown said...

Okay the allspice and cloves I would think came around the fall season...they are common in autumn recipes...oregano & rosemary, Italian phase?
Great T13...I cleaned out my spices after our move and realized I need to buy more of the stuff we use all of the time.
Come visit my T13 http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

The poultry season I use all the time in chicken recipes. The orange peel can be used in some baking recipes as "orange zest" and I always get frustrated because I never have any when I need it.

Happy TT!

Here's my list:

http://sleepingmommy.com/?p=400

Anonymous said...

Boy I have so many spices I should throw away...
You could add the oregano leaves any spaghetti sauce you buy prepared.
The rosemary works really well in lamb marinade. But you gatta love lamb.

Robin said...

Hey, you actually did your first TT and I missed it??? (I've been away with my folks.) Welcome aboard.

Here's a very yummy spread - mix a 1/4 cup of mango chutney and 1/2 tsp curry into one package of cream cheese. Blend well and serve with crackers or veggies.