Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hard time of year

So last week was Father's Day. Next week is the 4th of July. His favorite holiday of all time was the 4th of July. Then the week after that it will be one year since he died. One year. I can't believe it. I hadn't lived one second without him for 23 years before last July 11th and now I've lived one year without him.

For the last 8 years or so we would have a big party on the 4th. It started out as just one couple and us using the day as an excuse to drink and shoot fireworks and had morphed over the years to a big family party with both our families coming over. Still a few drinks but more kid (and parent) friendly. Wes loved fireworks, the louder and bigger the better. We never had much money but we always found a way to spend way, way too much on fireworks every year. They knew us on sight at the fireworks stand......we got free T-shirts for buying so many. :) I thought about having it again this year as a memorial to him but I just can't do it. I also talked to the kids and they both said they didn't want to have the party either. So we won't. I'm still not 100% convinced it's the right thing to do but I just don't think I can face it. But I feel almost guilty for not doing it. Guilty isn't really the right word but I can't think of a better way to describe it.

I do know that every time I drive by a fireworks stand I get teary. There is one I have to drive by on my way home from work. I usually start crying after I go by and don't stop til I'm almost home. We never even went to that fireworks stand! I don't know why it gets to me so bad but it does. I've tried to turn my head away when I drive by but that's not very easy or safe since I should, you know, keep my eyes on the road!

1 comment:

jessica said...

I hope you got thru the Fourth okay. What a struggle for you, remembering the happy times y'all had had at that time.

My husband died the middle of May in 2008. On the July 4th weekend of that year, a couple that we knew, had their wedding. And I MADE myself attend - it was a small ceremony of a few close family and friends. And my birthday was the 7th, a decade birthday, that I knew my husband would have fussed over. A good reason to throw myself a pity party.

Please do NOT be afraid to let the tears flow when they come. Believe it or not, they help in some ways.

Hand in there, sweetie.