Tuesday, August 10, 2010

One month ago

One month ago today was the best day my little family had in a long, long time.

We spent the whole day together as a family. We got up and for once I didn't sleep til 11! I cooked breakfast burritos, we hung out together. The kids wanted to swim in our pool (just one of those blue pools like everyone has) so they swam. I decided to join them then Wes decided to swim too. It was a rare thing for all four of us to be in the pool together but that day we did. We played and had fun. Wes and I were flirting with each other like we always did, even snuck in a few kisses here and there.

Then we got out of the pool, got cleaned up and decided to go plan our vacation for July 23. We were going to take the train to Ft. Worth, stay a couple of days and even tour the new Dallas Cowboys stadium while we were there. We were all excited to be going to TEXAS, especially Mallory. She'd always dreamed of going to Texas :)

After planning that Wes wanted to go to a local Mexican food place for supper. This is a rare thing as Wes usually hated to go out in public. But this night it was his idea so off we went. This restaurant has been sketchy in the past but on this particular night it was delicious, the best it's been in a long time.

When we got home the kids were still in good moods, no one got in trouble for being whiny or threw any fits (even me). Owen went to bed when it was bedtime. I went and got in the tub for my standard Saturday night bathtub date with a book. Wes and Mallory stayed up late watching tv. I could hear the sound of them talking but couldn't make out any words.

Looking back, I can see how it was the absolute perfect day, full of family and love. Just the memory of it makes me smile.

Who knew that that perfect day could lead to the nightmare that was to come just a few short hours later. All day I've been thinking of what we were doing a month ago and how we only had a few hours left but we didn't know it. I'll think of how excited the kids were to get the vacation planned not knowing that we would never get to go. Or how Wes and I were sneaking kisses and touches in the pool not knowing that we would never get that chance again. We would tease the kids and kiss in front of them but if they only knew what we were doing when they weren't looking they would have really gagged :).

I love him so much and I miss him with every atom of my being. I'm so glad we had such a good last day to remember.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Hi Kim

I can't even begin to know what you are feeling, but your account of your last hours together was so very heartwarming. What beautiful memories buddy.

jessica said...

Kim, I know that you are so new into this awful process called widowhood. But you have lots of company. If you are on Facebook, you can contact others who are in these shoes. {{HUGS}} to you...

Twisted Sister said...

I'm, I'm glad y'all had such a special day together, even though it was your last. It reminds us to cherish every moment. We never know what lies around the next bend in the road. I'm praying for you and the kids.